Saturday, March 6, 2021

NOBEL LAUREATE Louise Glück

"You have to live your life if you’re going to do original work. Your work will come out of an authentic life, and if you suppress all of your most passionate impulses in the service of an art that has not yet declared itself, you’re making a terrible mistake. 

When I was young I led the life I thought writers were supposed to lead, in which you repudiate the world, ostentatiously consecrating all of your energies to the task of making art. I just sat in Provincetown at a desk and it was ghastly - the more I sat there not writing the more I thought that I just hadn’t given up the world enough. After two years of that, I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to be a writer. So I took a teaching job in Vermont, though I had spent my life till that point thinking that real poets don’t teach. But I took this job, and the minute I started teaching - the minute I had obligations in the world - I started to write again."

- Louise Glück, our newest Literature Laureate was awarded the 2020 Nobel Prize for "for her unmistakable poetic voice that with austere beauty makes individual existence universal."

Read more in this Q&A with the poet: https://www.pw.org/content/internal_tapestries

Grateful thanks to 

No comments: