Tuesday, June 30, 2020

GREAT SOCIAL WORKERS

In his Nobel Lecture Muhammad Yunus explained what initiated his work fighting against poverty.

"I became involved in the poverty issue not as a policymaker or a researcher. I became involved because poverty was all around me, and I could not turn away from it. 

In 1974, I found it difficult to teach elegant theories of economics in the university classroom, in the backdrop of a terrible famine in Bangladesh. Suddenly, I felt the emptiness of those theories in the face of crushing hunger and poverty. I wanted to do something immediate to help people around me, even if it was just one human being, to get through another day with a little more ease."

Wishing a happy birthday to Yunus today who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 for his efforts to fight poverty. He granted poor people small loans on easy terms - micro-credit - before founding Grameen Bank to expand the initiative on a larger scale.

Read his full Nobel Lecture: https://bit.ly/2yGwE5h

No comments: