Tuesday, May 26, 2020

GREAT WRITERS

A GIFT OF RUSTY

"Can I have a collection of Bond?" I asked the shop man looking at the stack of books kept in the shelves of the Readers' Paradise, a mostly visited book shop at the Steel Market road in Durgapur.

The shop man ,a thin,oily-haired fellow all in powerful specs resting on his bulbous nose-tip scrutinized me briefly and asked,"For whom are you going to buy this one?"

"For my student," I replied somewhat surprised for I was hardly prepared for such an interrogation. 

"Of which class?" he asked further looking through chink of his glass.

By the time the row of books displaying famous titles in bold letters of great authors like O Henry, Shakespeare,Saki,R.K.Narayan and many more were tempting me.But I answered,"She's in class eight."

The shop keeper disappeared soon after I finished my words behind a book shelf into darkness.

I found it somewhat strange.

After five or six minutes the man emerged from darkness to the LED light of the shop.

With his trembling, rickety fingers he was holding two books tha he put on the counter.

Now with a smile he told me,"Sir,ìf you take my suggestion you can have these ones...I think they're absolutely fit for your student."

I glanced at the titles.They were :THE ROOM ON THE ROOF  and THE BLUE UMBRELLA.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because the writer has beautifully penned the emotions and excitement of the teenagers in these books.Actually, my own grand daughter is fond of the books."he expressed beaming at me.

I purchased both of them going with his suggestion. 

After some weeks my student burst out in elation ,"Wow!sir.I've never read books like those you gifted me. They've simply jewels of thoughts and emotions.Ruskin Bond is a great writer!"

My gift was worthy of being called " A GIFT" at last.

Thanks Rusty.

Debasish Banerjee 
24.5.20

No comments: